Over 200 girls abducted in Chibok in April 2014 are being held in
Gwoza town in Borno State, a woman who was recently released by the Boko
Haram sect has told the icirnigeria.org.
She said she was held in the same location as the abducted Chibok girls.
Mbutu Papka, 56, who was kidnapped in July 2014 and held by the
insurgents for eight months in two locations, said confidently that the
abducted girls were being held under very tight security in a house in
Gwoza.
Ms. Papka said nobody is allowed near the fenced building where the
abducted girls are being held under 24-hour security. Even the heavily
armed guards, who keep watch over the girls round the clock, it was
learnt, are only allowed to go into the house to deliver food, water and
other supplies to them.
The woman was seized along with others when Boko Haram attacked Gwoza
on July 4, 2014 and taken to Mdita, a remote village near the notorious
Sambisa Forest, bordering Askira Uba, Damboa and Gwoza.
The abductees, who included many children, according to Ms. Papka,
were kept in Mdita for five months before being transferred to Gwoza,
where they were held for three months before they were finally released
on March 15.
It was while in Gwoza that she learnt that the Chibok Girls, whose
abduction has attracted global attention, were being housed in a
compound adjacent to where she and other abducted people were kept.
Asked how she knew the girls were there, Ms. Papka said she never saw
the Chibok girls, but explained that people in the area pointed at the
heavily guarded flat and said the girls were inside.
Because access to the house was restricted, she said, the girls apparently did their own cooking and chores by themselves.
“In the camp at Gwoza, there were clear demarcations between where
people were kept. The Chibok girls, other captives and Boko Haram
members and their family members all had their separate areas secured,
though the security in the area where the girls are kept is visibly
different and much tighter,” she said.
Ms. Papka explained that the conditions under which the captives in
Gwoza were kept were fairly tolerable and far better than the first
location, as there was water supply.
She said that after they were taken to Gwoza, their living conditions
improved remarkably because the town has modern facilities, as opposed
to the rustic Mdita.
“When we got to Gwoza, things changed because there were facilities
there and the place was 10 times better than Mdita. We had a normal life
in Gwoza, except the trauma of living in captivity. Whatever we wanted
to eat, they were provided. They would bring water, firewood, etc., and
leave them outside,” she explained.
A few other comforts were provided.
“They even provided perfume for anyone who requested for it,” she added.
According to her, at Mdita, she met other abducted people including
women and children, among whom were many under the age of seven, all
living in terrible conditions.
“There was a room we used to urinate in and because of lack of water,
the place stank and maggots were everywhere. We took our baths once
daily, if we were lucky,” she said.
Because of the terrible conditions and absence of health care facilities in the camp, many people fell sick and some died.
“There was a Redeemed Christian Church of God pastor who was killed
during the attack on our village, and his wife was abducted with us. She
died at Mdita due to the condition of the place and the death of her
husband,” Ms. Papka said.
The pastor’s wife, she explained, had diabetes and, before her
abduction, had been on a special diet which could not be provided by the
insurgents.
Ms. Papka said she and the other women were not raped or assaulted,
although she could not speak for the Chibok girls because nobody was
allowed to see or interact with them.
She also said that the Boko Haram men lived with their wives and
children in the Gwoza camp, but kept away from others and cooked their
own meals.
On March 15, 2015, after three months in Gwoza, Ms. Papka and 10
other older women were taken from the camp, herded into a vehicle and
driven to Izge, a village, from where she was taken to her own village
on a motorcycle because the road is bad.
The ride, however, was not free.
“I was asked to pay N8, 000 for the motorcycle ride, which I collected from my family,” she stated.
This website also learnt that a two-year old boy was given to Ms.
Papka when she was released. The boy, who is reported to be sick and has
rashes on his body, has since been reunited with his family, which is
now seeking financial assistance to take the child to hospital.
“He was crying uncontrollably, so they (Boko Haram) handed him over to me as we were leaving,” she said.
Gwoza local government area of Borno State, which is just over 100
kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital, is said to be one of the
council areas still wholly in the hands of Boko Haram terrorists.
Gwoza town was first captured by the insurgents in August last year,
following a heavy gun attack by insurgents who hoisted the sect’s flag
and declared it the headquarters of the group’s Caliphate.
Over 12,000 persons were displaced from the town and repeated
attempts by the military to recapture it in the past have failed largely
due to the hilly terrain, which provide hiding places for the
terrorists from which to operate.
This website has learnt that it is not the first time that released
Boko Haram abductees have claimed to know where the Chibok girls are
being held.
Emman Shehu, a founding member of the Bring Back Our Girls group,
told our reporter during the week that a young girl who was released
last week and an elderly woman had previously claimed that the Chibok
girls were being kept in Damboa and Sambisa area.
Mr. Shehu, who is also director of the International Institute of
Journalism, Abuja, said: “Two people, a young girl and an elderly lady
have said in the past that they know where the Chibok girls were being
kept, the girl saying that only last week.
“We have heard people say in the past that they know where they are.
We heard before that some of them were in Damboa, but the military has
reclaimed Damboa and they did not say the girls are there,” he said.
The whereabouts of the Chibok girls has been a mystery since April
last year when they were kidnapped while writing exams in their school.
Mr. Shehu, who lambasted the military for the manner it handled the
abduction of the girls, said that since April when they were kidnapped,
the military has made no attempt to rescue them.
If there had been any rescue mission, he observed, the military would
have been giving regular updates about the progress being made in that
effort.
“There has never been a rescue mission by the Nigerian military to
free the Chibok girls,” he said, adding that the federal government and
defence headquarters have not shown seriousness or the political will to
rescue the girls.
For example, Mr. Shehu said, the #BringBackOurGirls group learnt
during the visit of Yousafzai Malala, the Pakistani girl-child education
activist, to Nigeria, that the 57 girls who escaped from the insurgents
had not been debriefed either by the military or any other security
agency.
More than 200 young girls were abducted by Boko Haram gunmen at the
Government Girls Secondary School, GGSS, Chibok, on April 14, 2014, the
same day that suicide bombers wreaked havoc in Nyanya, on the outskirts
of Abuja, the Nigerian capital.
It was reported that the 276 girls who were writing their final West
African School Certificate, WASC, exams were kidnapped when the
insurgents attacked the town pretending to be security guards and asked
the girls to come with them.
What followed, particularly the reaction from the Nigerian
government, caused a lot of outrage that eventually changed the dynamics
in the fight against the sect.
Less than 48 hours after the abduction and Abuja bomb blast,
President Goodluck Jonathan was pictured dancing at a rally in Kano, and
it took him almost three weeks to publicly speak about the incident,
saying government was doing all it could to free the girls.
It was also reported that the Nigerian military had four hours
intelligence prior to the kidnapping, something the military later
admitted, but said its over-stretched forces could not immediately send
in reinforcements.
The government’s attitude drew widespread criticism and protests grew
against its response, which was viewed as tepid. Protests were also
held in major Western cities, including Los Angeles and London.
At the same time, the popular movement for the release of the girls,
the Bring Back Our Girls group, was formed. The movement’s hashtag,
#BringBackOurGirls, attracted more than two million tweets within its
first week.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, once said that
the military had located the girls, but ruled out a forceful rescue
mission for fear of harming the abducted girls.
On July 23 and 24, 2014, vigils and protests to mark 100 days of the
abduction were held in Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Togo, the
United Kingdom, the United State, Canada, and Portugal and following
global attention brought by the abduction, the UK, US, France, China,
Canada, Israel and the European Union all offered support to Nigeria.
But despite all efforts by Nigeria and other nations, the abducted
girls have remained in captivity, with no clue about their fate.
If Ms. Papka’s present condition is anything to go by, even if the
girls have not suffered any physical abuse, the emotional and
psychological trauma inflicted by their experience would be, indeed,
enormous.
ICIR reporter learnt that Ms. Papka’s experience appears to have left
a permanent impact on her. Her children say she is like a stranger to
them. She is easily scared by sounds and approaching footsteps and
prefers to stay alone, not talking to anyone.
These are apparently effects of her abduction and detention by the
insurgents. Sadly, there is no mechanism put in place either by the
state or federal government, or even civil society organisations, to
provide any kind of counselling or medical care and assistance for her.
It was learnt that the Borno State government is aware of the release
of the 11 women by Boko Haram as their return home was widely
celebrated in many villages, but as at Wednesday morning, 10 days after,
no state official has visited any of them or offered any kind of
assistance.
On Wednesday, when our reporter talked to one of her relatives, she
said the family was planning to take her to see a psychologist.
Attempts by the icirnigeria.org
to share information about the girls’ whereabouts with the military and
get its reaction were not successful, as the Director of Defence
Information, Major-General Chris Olukolade, said in a telephone
conversation that he was out of town.
Although it was agreed that the information was too sensitive to be
shared on the telephone and that a face-to-face meeting was necessary,
Mr. Olukolade, who said he was returning to Abuja on Tuesday, has not
reverted to us at the time of publishing this report.
No comments:
Post a Comment