The Federal Government on Wednesday described as untrue claims by
former President Olusegun Obasanjo that the administration of President
Goodluck Jonathan had squandered the nation's foreign reserves.
The Federal Ministry of Finance, in a statement in Abuja, said there
was never a time the reserves rose to $67bn as alleged by Obasanjo.
It said that the reserves were, among others, used to settle foreign
currency obligations, including the importation of equipment for the
power sector.
Also, the Peoples Democratic Party's Presidential Campaign said Obasanjo was entitled to his views.
The former President had on Monday while responding to a call by a
delegation of market women led by the Iyalode of Yorubaland, Chief Alaba
Lawson, and the Iyaloja General of Nigeria, Chief Folashade Tinubu-Ojo,
to lend his voice to the socio-economic crisis rocking the country,
said the nation did not deserve the situation it currently found itself.
He said the administrations after him had gradually depleted the
foreign reserves from the $67bn he left to just a little over $30bn.
But the Finance ministry said anyone familiar with foreign reserves
management would be aware that the Federal Government could not dip its
hands into them.
Like in other countries, it explained that the management of external
reserves was one of the statutory mandates of the Central Bank of
Nigeria.
Quoting from Section 2 Sub Section (c) of the CBN Act (2007), it stated
that the bank had been mandated to 'maintain external reserves to
safeguard the international value of the legal tender.'
It said going by this provision, no President since the democratic dispensation had contravened the Act.
The statement read in part, 'It is absolutely not true that the
administration of President Goodluck Jonathan has squandered the
nation's reserves.
'The facts are clear and indisputable. At the end of May 2007,
Nigeria's gross reserves stood at $43.13bn, comprising the CBN's
external reserves of $31.5bn; $9.43bn in the Excess Crude Account; and
$2.18bn in the Federal Government's savings.
'These figures can be independently verified from the CBN's records.
The figure of $67bn cited in some recent commentary is therefore
factually incorrect.'
It added, 'It is a misconception to think that reserves are immutable
or cast in stone. The reality is that since May 2007, the reserves have
fluctuated in line with developments in the international oil market,
rising from $43.13bn at that time, peaking at $62bn in September 2008
during the Yar'Adua/Jonathan administration when oil prices reached a
peak of $147 per barrel, and falling subsequently to a low of $31.7bn in
September 2011.
'This fall in reserves was largely a result of the vicissitudes of the
global economy and oil market, which caused the CBN to intervene, using
some of the reserves to defend the value of the naira.'
It said whenever an agency of government or a private
individual/company needed to make a payment in foreign currencies, it
must provide the naira equivalent to the CBN in exchange for the
required foreign currencies.
On the Excess Crude Account savings, a component of the reserves, the
ministry said this was largely used to cushion the harsh effects of the
global financial crisis of 2008 and 2009 on the economy.
It explained that Nigeria was one of the few countries in the world
that did not seek assistance from international financial institutions
at that time.
It noted that the fiscal stimulus used to shore up the economy during
that period was shared by all the three tiers of government.
It said the savings in the ECA were also used to pay for fuel subsidies
for the entire nation and that sharing of the fund continued after the
crisis had ended.
While agreeing with Obasanjo that the savings in the ECA should have
been higher, the ministry noted that the fact that a number of governors
acted against strong professional advice to insist on the withdrawal of
the funds led to its depletion.
It stated, 'It is on record that states even took the Federal
Government to court on this matter, and the case is still pending at the
Supreme Court.
'It is also worth noting that the Jonathan administration built the
first ever Sovereign Wealth Fund for the nation in which savings are
being made for future generations of Nigerians and important
infrastructure investments are being supported.'
Similarly, the Director of Media and Publicity, the PDP Presidential
Campaign, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, said at a press conference in Abuja
that Obasanjo was entitled to his views.
No comments:
Post a Comment